I was surprised when they asked me, as the two of them had only been going together for a couple of months. However, they explained that the woman was in a living situation in which she feared for her safety. (I'll spare you the details). So when they asked me if she could move in with us, I replied, "If she can pay one-third of the rent and the electricity, I don't see a problem."
Three days after she moved in, I began to see problems. It turns out, there were (are) certain things about the woman that neither she nor my roommate brought to my attention. To wit:
- She's a client of an agency that bills itself as providing, "Services for people with special needs."
- She has a case worker who is apparently free to come knocking on our door to check up on the girlfriend whenever she wants - including when my 3rd-shift-working ass is sound asleep. (Yes, I've been woken up a couple of times.)
- She has a drunken, violent ex-boyfriend who's trying to find her and who might someday turn up on our doorstep, looking for blood.
- She has a child in foster care, with whom she's forbidden to make contact.
- She neither drives nor works. (Her sole source of income is Social Security Disability, and there's nothing physically wrong with her. Draw your own conclusions.)
As if that weren't enough, she has the personality of a tree. The only time I don't hear her speak in monosyllables is when she's asking me the same questions over and over again - much like one of the residents at the group home where I work. Living with this woman makes me feel like I never get a night off from my job!
She's also completely clueless about how to be an adult - except possibly in the sex department, which would explain why my roommate is drawn to her. I certainly can't think of any other explanation, except that she makes him look like the epitome of intellect. (My roommate has a learning disability. His idea of hilarity is to walk around the apartment belching. He also thought it was funny to hang a "No Parking" sign above the toilet.)
To give you but one example of her cluelessness: when the two of them spent a weekend together in upstate New York, the girlfriend bought some items with checks. She did not, however, understand that before you can write a check, you need to have enough money in your account to cover it; her checks all bounced. It was only due to some fast talking by her social worker that the girlfriend does not currently occupy a jail cell! (I rather wish the social worker had stayed out of it.)
On top of everything else, she and my roommate have announced their engagement! They plan to get married in October 2013. Talk about the blind leading the blind....
At one time, when I felt pissed off or upset, I could come home and cool out. But now, going home is what makes me upset! The simple fact is: now that I know the truth about that woman, I don't want her living in my house. Unfortunately, she's here now; I'm stuck with her; and I resent the living shit out of it! Thank you so much, roommate and girlfriend, for so thoroughly screwing up my home life!